Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A water loss can happen at anytime, to any home and anyone! If you find yourself in a home with water damage let your local SERVPRO of Brighton/Howell help you! After you call our office, there a few things you can do while you wait until help arrives!
- Shut off your water supply (if possible). As a home owner its important to know exactly where your water shut off is.
- Look for any safety issues, remember not to touch any light switches in the area facing water damage
- Note where any contents of importance are, so then our crews can remove these items first
We know it can be stressful, but during a water loss, let our crews help you!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (810) 220-3711
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.